Aren't these just the most gorgeous shortcakes? Perfect to share for afternoon tea. No one will know just how quick and easy they are, as they look so impressive!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Such a quick afternoon tea treat that is whipped up quickly from staple pantry items and some fresh strawberries and cream. Too easy!" - Prue
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Makes 6 shortcakes
Shortcake component can be frozen
- self raising flour - 310g, plus extra for dusting
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- sugar - 90g
- butter - 80g
- milk - 130g
- egg - 1
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- cream - 600ml
- strawberries - 500g, sliced
- icing sugar - for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180C and line the baking tray with baking paper.
- Place flour (310g), baking powder (1 tsp), sugar (90g) and butter (80g) into bowl. Speed 7 / 10 seconds.
- Add milk (130g), egg (1), vanilla (1 tsp) and salt (1/2 tsp). Speed 5 until it just comes together. Do not over work the mixture.
- Transfer mixture to the bench with a little extra flour to make the dough workable. Knead until it just comes together. Do not over work.
- Roll dough out to 1cm thick. Cut 12 circles from it.
- Place onto baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Move to a wire cooling rack until slightly warm.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Place cream (600ml) into clean, dry mixer bowl. Speed 4 until whipped, approximately 20-30 seconds. Do not walk away from the bowl as it can turn from whipped to butter in seconds.
- Top a shortcake circle with sliced strawberries and a thick dollop of cream. Place a shortcake circle on top. Repeat until you have 6 shortcakes.
- Dust with a little icing sugar and serve immediately.