Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
This delicious dessert has been shared with us by Fiona from Food 4 Thought. This is simply delicious and easily one of the best comfort foods. Soft sweet fruit with a crunchy crumble, served with silky custard. It doesn’t get much better.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This was soooo delicious. We served it with custard and ice cream and it was completely devoured" - Gerri
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Dairy
Total Preparation Time 5 minutes
Best served fresh (can be served cold)
- lemon - 1, Zest and juice
- raw sugar - 120g
- rhubarb - 400g, roughly chopped
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp, scraped, vanilla paste or 1 vanilla bean
- cornflour - 5 – 10g
- strawberries - 250 – 300g, hulled and sliced
- brown sugar - 100g, light
- hazelnuts - 100g, toasted, skins removed
- butter - 120g, room temperature, (*or cold dairy free spread for DF)
- oats - 70g, rolled, (*or flaked almonds for GF)
- plain flour - 70g, (*plain GF flour if required)
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place lemon zest (from 1 lemon) and raw sugar (120g) into bowl. Speed 8 / 5-10 seconds. Scrape down bowl and repeat if necessary.
- Add lemon juice (from 1 lemon), rhubarb (400g) and vanilla (1 tsp) into bowl. Program 12 minutes / 80C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Sit the simmering basket inside the baking dish. Pour mixture into simmering basket, allowing juice to drain off into the baking dish.
- If your fruit has yielded a lot of juice, return juice to mixing bowl and add cornflour (5-10g). Program 4 minutes / 90C / Speed 3. If not, simply pour the juice over the rhubarb as is.
- While cooking, spread rhubarb across the base of the baking dish.
- Once cooked, pour thickened juice over rhubarb and top with sliced strawberries (250-300g).
- Place brown sugar (100g), hazelnuts (100g), butter (120g), oats (70g) and flour (70g) into clean, dry bowl. Closed Lid / 2-3 Quick Turbo Blasts (0.5 seconds) until crumble mixture forms.
- Sprinkle on top of rhubarb and bake for approximately 25-35 minutes until fruit is bubbly and fragrant and the top is golden brown.