Steamed Spiced Puddings with Butterscotch Sauce
Not everyone likes cloves, but the amount of this wonderful spice that we have used in these puddings leaves a terrific warmth in your mouth. It makes a fantastic match with ground ginger. Serve it with plenty of sauce and double cream!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “These puddings were so easy to make and were enjoyed by the whole family. We all thought they had a 'chai tea' taste to them and were disappointed when they were finished." - Anita
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
4 small heatproof glasses or small jars
steaming attachment lower dish
- butter - 120g, softened, plus extra for greasing
- brown sugar - 90g
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp
- cloves - 1 tsp, ground
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp, ground
- ginger - 1/2 tsp, ground
- self raising flour - 180g (*can use GF)
- milk of choice - 50g
- eggs - 2
- water - 500g, hot
- brown sugar - 100g, dark
- cream - 100g, pure
- butter - 40g
- vanilla bean paste - 1/2 tsp
- Serving options:
- ice cream - or double cream, to serve
- Add the softened butter (120g), brown sugar (90g), vanilla bean paste (1 tsp), ground cloves (1 tsp), ground cinnamon (1/2 tsp), ground ginger (1/2 tsp), self raising flour (180g), milk (50g) and eggs (2) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 15 seconds until just combined.
- Grease 4 small heatproof glasses or small jars well.
- Pour pudding batter into each glass carefully.
- Wash the bowl out.
- Pour hot water (500g) into the bowl. Place ramekins into steaming attachment lower dish. Set the steaming attachment in place. Program 25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Carefully remove the glasses from the steaming attachment with oven mitts. Allow to cool. Drain water from the bowl.
- Add the dark brown sugar (100g), pure cream (100g), butter (40g) and vanilla bean paste (1/2 tsp) into the bowl. Program 9 minutes / 90C / Speed 4.
- Serve when glasses are warm but not hot to the touch, with a good drizzle of caramel sauce and either some ice cream or double cream.