Spring Rolls with Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
These mouth-watering spring rolls have been shared with us by Tina from Dinner with Tina. Who doesn't love spring rolls!? They are so versatile. They make the perfect finger food at parties but they also make a delicious and hearty meal. Scroll through the gallery below to learn how to fold the spring rolls.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These were fresh and delicious! A great recipe to allow you to make your own finger foods to show off to your friends." - Heidi
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 45 minutes
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Can be frozen
- Spring rolls:
- black fungus - 10g, dried, ear, optional, but gives the filling a little crunch
- vermicelli noodles - 50g, or glass noodles
- chicken mince - 500g, or pork mince, or a mix of both
- spring onions - 2, chopped
- fresh coriander - handful, roughly chopped
- soy sauce - 2 Tbsp, light
- oyster sauce - 2 Tbsp
- sugar - 1 tsp
- chicken stock - 1 tsp, powder
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - to taste
- vegetable oil - for deep frying
- spring roll pastry - 1 packet of 50 pieces (*check for egg if required)
- Spring roll sealing paste:
- plain flour - 1 Tbsp
- water - 1 Tbsp, cold
- Vietnamese dipping sauce:
- sugar - 90g
- water - 125g, boiling
- limes - 2, juice only, or 1 lemon
- vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- water - 125g, cold
- fish sauce - 50g
- carrot - 1, grated
- radish - 1, small, grated, optional
- chillies - optional but gives it a bit of a kick!
- Soak the glass noodles in cold water for 20 minutes then using scissors, cut the noodles into small pieces. Drain and set aside.
- Soak the dried black ear fungus (chopped into small pieces with the ends chopped off) in hot water for 20 minutes and clean it thoroughly.
- Place soaked fungus into your bowl and chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds.
- Add vermicelli (50g), mince (500g), spring onions (2), coriander (handful), light soy sauce (2 Tbsp), oyster sauce (2 Tbsp), sugar (1 tsp), chicken powder (1 tsp) and salt (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix on Reverse+Speed 4 / 5 seconds.
Spring roll sealing paste:
- To make spring roll sealing paste, mix plain flour (1 Tbsp) and cold water (1 Tbsp) together in small bowl.
- Peel the spring roll wrappers apart and cover them with a damp tea towel so that they won't dry out.
- Place the wrapper on the table with the pointed end facing you then add 1.5 heaped tsp of the filling in the bottom corner.
- Roll the wrapper over the filling very tightly.
- Fold the two sides in then continue to roll it up.
- Seal the spring roll with a bit of the sealing paste.
- Pour enough oil into your wok or a saucepan to cover the spring rolls then place over medium heat.
- Test if your oil is hot enough by using a wooden chopstick. If your oil is hot enough, you will see bubbles start coming up onto the chopstick.
- Deep fry the spring rolls until golden brown then drain onto the paper towel.
Vietnamese dipping sauce:
- Add sugar (90g) and boiling water (125g) to bowl. Mix Speed 3 / 10 seconds or until sugar is dissolved.
- Add lime (2), vinegar (2 Tbsp), cold water (125g), fish sauce (50g), carrot (1), radish (1) and chillies to bowl.
- Mix Speed 3 / 10 seconds.