This decadent recipe will surprise you, as the sponge cake only has has 4 ingredients! The recipe has been shared with us by Bianca Slade from Wholefood Simply. You can decorate it with whichever cream or yoghurt you wish, and be sure to garnish with lots of beautiful berries!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Huge hit with everyone. Gluten free certainly didn't mean taste free, it was moist and delicious. Very easy recipe." - Claire
Contains: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 12 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- almonds - 150g, blanched
- salt - pinch
- eggs - 6
- coconut sugar - 100g
- yoghurt - 2 cups, natural, thick (*can use DF coconut yoghurt or try the Whipped Coconut Cream from The Desserts Issue)
- berries of choice - 2 cups
- Preheat oven to 175C and line and grease cake tins.
- Grind almonds (150g) on Speed 8 / 8 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Attach whisk attachment to the bowl. Place the eggs (6) and coconut sugar (100g) in the bowl. Program Speed 4 / 6 minutes. Remove the whisk attachment.
- Set to Speed 2, and add spoonfuls of the ground almond mixture through the lid until you have no almond meal left.
- Pour the mixture evenly into your prepared tins and bake for 25 minutes or until nicely golden.
- Remove from the oven. Run a knife slowly and careful around the edge of each cake. Gently flip the cakes onto cooling racks and remove the baking paper. Allow the cakes to cool completely.
- Cover what is now the top of one cake with the thick yoghurt or cream and evenly distribute the berries. Place the remaining cake on top and repeat. Cut. Eat. Enjoy.