This delicious sponge cake has been shared with us by Sophia Handschuh from Thermomix Baking Blogger. Sponge cake is a staple for most afternoon tea parties or get-togethers. The soft fluffy layers of cake and decadent jam filling make for a delicious treat with friends.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A light and delicious cake that makes a lovely morning tea treat. I will definitely be making this one again." - Shannah
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes + cooling time
Cooking Time 25-30 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- eggs - 4
- butter - 225g
- caster sugar - 225g
- plain flour - 225g
- baking powder - 2 tsp
- vanilla - 1/2 tsp, extract
- raspberry jam - 250g, check out our Jam Making Tips from The Tea Party Issue, then make your own with the Cherry Jam recipe from The Fresh Produce Issue
- icing sugar - to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a 26cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- If you need to make your own caster sugar, add sugar (225g) and grind Speed 9 / 3 seconds.
- Place the eggs (4), butter (225g), sugar (225g), plain flour (225g), baking powder (2 tsp) and vanilla (1/2 tsp) in the bowl. Blend Speed 5 / 30 seconds.
- Fill into the prepared cake tin and even out using a spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool down in the tin for 20 minutes. Then place on a wire cooling rack to cool down completely.
- Once cool, slice the cake horizontally in half. Spread the jam (250g) over the bottom half and cover with the top. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy!