Spinach & Ricotta Cannelloni Bake
This is without a doubt one of Joe’s all time favourite meals. We have tweaked it over time to make it as EASY and straightforward as possible to prepare. It is a real crowd pleaser!
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Nuts
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Can be frozen
- almonds - 75g, (*optional)
- Parmesan cheese - 50g
- Pizza Cheese - 200g, combination of block cheddar, mozzarella & Parmesan cheese, or store-bought pre-grated
- ricotta cheese - 500g
- spinach - 250g, pack of frozen, thawed and drained
- egg - 1
- salt - pinch
- nutmeg - pinch
- onion - 1, large, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- oil - 15g
- tomatoes - 400g can, diced
- tomato paste - 30g
- water - 120g
- vegetable stock - 10g, paste
- pasta - 250g pack of dried cannelloni turns (*can use GF)
- Add blocks of cheese (total 200g) to the bowl. Speed 7 / 10 seconds. Set aside. Note: if you are using pre-grated Pizza Cheese, you do not need to do this step.
- Add almonds (75g) and Parmesan (50g) to the bowl. Speed 7 / 5 seconds.
- Add ricotta (500g), drained spinach, egg (1), salt (pinch) and nutmeg (pinch) to the bowl. Speed 4 / 30 seconds (may need to help along using your spatula).
- Transfer spinach & ricotta mixture to a large ziplock bag (or into a piping bag). Clean and dry bowl.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add onion (1) and garlic (2 cloves) to the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 1 second.
- Add oil (15g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 115C* / Stirring Speed, measuring cap off.
- Add tomato (400g), tomato paste (30g), water (120g) and stock paste (10g). Program 10 minutes / 100C / Stirring Speed. Sit simmering basket on the lid.
- Fill the cannelloni tubes as per the instruction in the video below: Make a hole in the corner of the bag roughly a length three quarters the diameter. Put the opened corner of the bag into the cannelloni tube. Squeeze filling into tube. Tip: Use the edge of your spatula to move the filling to the corners of the piping bag.
- Lay the filled tubes into the casserole dish.
- Once completed, pour the sauce over the top so that the tubes are all covered.
- Sprinkle your grated cheese over the top.
- Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the foil and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with a light garden salad.