Spinach, Pesto & Mozzarella Rolled Roast Chicken
A rolled roast chicken is a regular on our Easter menu. What I love about it is that you can change the filling to suit your tastes and what you have in your fridge. It can be as basic or as decadent as you like. Serve with some veggies and fresh crusty bread and your Easter dinner is sorted. Such a simple but impressive meal. - Peta
Recipe Tester Feedback: "The flavours were delicious - a very quick and easy way to liven up a few chicken breasts - and it looks like you’ve put a lot of effort into it when you dish it up!" - Lou
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 60 minutes
Serves 4-8, depending on side dishes
Can be frozen pre or post cooking
- Roasted capsicum pesto:
- garlic clove - 1
- capsicum - 200g, roasted strips
- cashew nuts - 150g (or macadamia nuts)
- balsamic vinegar - 1/2 Tbsp
- olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp
- prosciutto - 12 slices
- chicken breast - 4 large (approx. 1kg), fat and skin removed and butterflied
- baby spinach - 60g leaves
- mozzarella cheese - 12 thin slices
Roasted Capsicum Pesto:
- Add garlic clove (1), capsicum (200g), nuts (150g), balsamic vinegar (1/2 Tbsp), olive oil (1 Tbsp), salt (1/2 tsp) and pepper (1/2 tsp) to the bowl.
- Mix Speed 5 / 6 seconds. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line deep baking dish with baking paper.
- Lay out a large sheet of baking paper.
- Lay prosciutto (12) out on the baking paper in layers slightly overlapping to form a large rectangle.
- Place butterflied chicken breast (4) on top of the prosciutto layer. You want minimal gaps.
- Spread the roasted capsicum pesto over the chicken breasts.
- Top with spinach leaves (60g) and slices of mozzarella (12).
- Carefully roll the chicken up into a log shape.
- Place chicken roll into the deep baking dish, seam side down and cover with aluminium foil.
- Cook for 40-50 minutes until cooked through.
- Uncover the chicken and turn the oven up to the highest temp.
- Cook briefly until the prosciutto layer crisps up.
- Remove tray from the oven, place the chicken roll onto a chopping board and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Carefully cut the roll into thick slices using a serrated knife and serve with roast or steamed vegetables of choice