Spinach Lentil Curry with Rice
Dinner on the table in 20 minutes? Yes please! This will make 6 serves however if you have a small family simply freeze the other half. It tastes even better reheated once the flavours have had time to develop. We have served it with rice and pappadums however you can serve with mash, cauliflower rice, cous cous or over steamed veggies.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I especially loved this recipe because it was super quick to prepare and I didn't need to go out and buy any special ingredients. The end product was really hearty with great colours and flavours. I think that it will be something that I will make for my lunch during the week." - Shannon
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 20 minutes
Can be frozen
- rice - 400g, cooked to packet intsructions
- onion - 1, small, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- coconut oil - 20g, or ghee (*note: ghee is not DF)
- cumin - 3 tsp, ground
- dried coriander - 3 tsp, ground
- paprika - 3 tsp, sweet
- garam masala - 2 tsp
- turmeric - 2 tsp, ground
- cayenne pepper - 1/2 tsp, or more or less to taste
- salt - 1 tsp, or to taste
- pepper - 1/2 tsp
- spinach - 250g, chopped, frozen, broken up slightly
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, diced
- beef stock - 2 cubes, or 1 tsp beef stock paste
- water - 150g
- lentils - 400g tin, brown
- pappadums - to serve
- Cook rice (400g) according to packet directions on the stove top or microwave. This should take 16-18 minutes.
- Place onion (1) and garlic (2) into bowl. Speed 6 / 5 seconds. Scrape down.
- Add oil (20g) as well as cumin (3 tsp), coriander (3 tsp), paprika (3 tsp), garam masala (2 tsp), turmeric (2 tsp) and cayenne pepper (1/2 tsp)to bowl. 5 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2.
- Add salt (1 tsp), pepper (1/2 tsp), spinach (250g), diced tomatoes (400g tin), beef stock cubes (2) and water (150g) to bowl. Place internal steaming basket on top to prevent splatters. 10 minutes / 100C / Speed 2. Meanwhile drain and rinse the brown lentils.
- Add lentils (400g) to the sauce mixture and stir using a spatula. These will heat through purely from the hot sauce.
- Plate up rice and serve spinach and lentil curry over the top. Serve with pappadums or a little of the Tangy Yoghurt Dressing.
* If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.