Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni
This delicious main meal was shared on The 4 Blades blog in 2014 and is made so much easier in a thermo mixer (than the traditional method!) It was featured in our Valentine’s Day episode of our podcast, as part of our three-course meal plan. It’s one of Joe’s favourites and as a bonus, freezes really well! - Bec
Reader Feedback: "I made your cannelloni tonight and loved the ziplock bag idea, well until it burst at the seam, so then I grabbed a silicon piping bag and used that, the nozzle end could have been a little larger but it worked a treat. For 30 years the wife and I have been filling the cannelloni tubes with a teaspoon… never again! Thanks for the idea." - Ron
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
- almonds - 25g
- walnuts - 25g
- Parmesan cheese - 25g
- mozzarella cheese - 75g
- fresh basil - 2 small stalks, leaves
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- olive oil - 20g
- spinach - 250g pack, frozen, thawed and drained (or heated and drained)
- egg - 1
- ricotta cheese - 250g
- nutmeg - pinch
- onion - 85g, peeled
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, crushed
- white wine - 55g
- tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- pasta - 1 packet, dried cannelloni (usually comes in 250g, but you won’t use it all)
- Grind almonds (25g) & walnuts (25g). Mix Speed 7 / 7 seconds. Set aside.
- Grate Parmesan cheese (25g) & mozzarella (75g). Mix Speed 8 / 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Chop basil leaves (2). Mix Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Chop onion (85g), and garlic clove (1 only). Mix Speed 5-6 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add olive oil (20g). Program 2 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap off.
- Add spinach (120g after liquid drained), ground nuts, egg (1), ricotta cheese (250g), and nutmeg (pinch). Mix Speed 4 / 30 seconds. Put mixture into a large ziplock bag and wash the bowl.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add tomatoes (400g tin), white wine (55g) and tomato paste (1 Tbsp). Program 15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap on. Add basil in the last few minutes.
- Fill your dried cannelloni tubes (250g) by putting a hole in the corner of the ziplock bag and squeezing it into the tubes (see video). Place them in your dish.
- Once the sauce has finished, pour it over the top of the cannelloni – spreading out with your spatula so all are covered (see picture).
- Sprinkle cheese from Step 2 over the top.
- Cover with foil and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Your cannelloni is ready to be served!