Spinach and Feta Grain Free Pancakes
The 4 Blades wanted to create something fun and delicious on the blog for St Patrick’s Day 2016. Call them green pancakes, call them spinach & feta pancakes, heck… call them Shrek® pancakes (or maybe Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles®!), but definitely give them a go! Now, let’s just say straight up: if grain free doesn’t interest you, you may still love this recipe. Simply get your favourite savoury pancake recipe and add in 50g baby spinach and 2 handfuls of fresh basil (blitz it up on Speed 10), then add 70g of crumbled feta. Follow the recipe for more details.
This recipe was also featured on Episode 98 of the podcast: St Patrick’s Day Thermomix Recipes.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Well, these guys were A HIT for the whole fam!!! Definitely making them again!!!" - Rach
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- besan / chickpea flour - 200g (or whole dried chickpeas) 50g tapioca starch
- tapioca starch - 50g
- salt flakes - 1.5 tsp (less for fine salt)
- apple cider vinegar - 25g
- soda water - 200g sparkling water
- baby spinach - 50g leaves
- fresh basil - 2 handfuls of leaves
- feta cheese - 70g, crumbled
- oil - or butter, for frying
- If making your own besan, add dried chickpeas (200g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 10.
- To the besan (200g), add the tapioca (50g), bicarb soda (1 tsp), salt (1.5 tsp), vinegar (25g), soda water (200g), spinach (50g) and basil leaves (2 handfuls) to the bowl. Mix Speed 10 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides and repeat if necessary.Add the crumbled feta (70g) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 3 / 10 seconds.
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat, with oil or butter.
- Once the pan is hot, add spoonfuls of the batter to the pan. Use a few spoonfuls per pancake.
- Once the pancake is bubbling, flip over and cook for a couple of minutes on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and repeat until all the batter has been used. You may wish to add more oil or butter throughout the process.
- Serve immediately, whilst warm and fresh.