Spinach and Cheese Filo Pie
This pie is so tasty, yet so easy. Filo pastry can be a bit fiddly, but not in this pie! You simply brush the pastry with melted butter and scrunch it up to top the pie. Flaky and delicious.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Really tasty pie that manages to pack in a surprising amount of spinach. Good side dish for kids." - Laura
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 45-50 minutes
Can be frozen
- Pie filling:
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- leek - 1, roughly chopped and washed, large
- oil - 20g
- ricotta cheese - 250g, make your own using the Ricotta Cheese recipe from The Make Your Own Subscriber Only Bonus Issue
- feta cheese - 100g, crumbled
- cheddar cheese - 100g, grated, or a stronger cheese if you prefer
- eggs - 4, large
- cream - 50g, pure
- fresh parsley - 2 Tbsp, roughly chopped
- spring onions - 5, finely sliced
- pepper - 1 tsp, black, ground
- baby spinach - 280g, leaves
- filo pastry - 8 sheets, or more if you use a large dish
- butter - 50g, plus extra for greasing, melted
- sesame seeds - 2 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease a deep 15x20 rectangular ovenproof dish.
- If you need to grate your own cheese, add cheddar (100g) to the bowl and grate Speed 6 / 4 seconds. Set aside.
- Add garlic cloves (4) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the roughly chopped leek (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 8 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add the ricotta (250g), feta (100g), grated cheddar (100g), eggs (4), cream (50g), parsley (2 Tbsp), spring onions (5) and pepper (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 6 seconds.
- Remove bowl from base. Add half of the spinach leaves (140g only) and stir to mix through. Add the remaining spinach leaves and stir to combine and mix through.
- Pour into prepared dish.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes to get the temperature up and the sauce thickening.
- Remove from oven.
- If you need to melt your butter, add butter (50g) to the bowl and program 2 minutes / 50C / Speed 2, or until melted.
- Very carefully brush the filo pastry (8 sheets) with melted butter (50g), one sheet at a time, and scrunch up and place onto the pie. The pie will have scrunched up filo as the topping. Be careful not to burn yourself.
- Drizzle with any remaining melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds (2 Tbsp).
- Bake until filo is golden, approx. 20-25 minutes.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.