Spicy Tomato Relish
This spicy tomato relish has been shared with us by Gabrielle Tobin from Kitch’n Thyme. It can be served with meats, rissoles, sandwiches or as a great accompaniment to cheese platters. It also matches well with deli meats on wraps, tacos, arancini balls, eggs at breakfast time... the list goes on! Create a nice label to put on your relish before gifting for an old-school feel.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A delicious relish that really would be great with cheese on crackers, a ham sandwich or on top of some chicken. A very yummy condiment." - Tammy
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 2-2.5 hours
Makes 4 small-medium jars
Cannot be frozen
- water - boiling
- tomatoes - 1.5kg, mixed whole
- onions - 250g, red, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- ginger - 2cm piece, peeled
- chillies - 1-2, red cayenne, deseeded
- red wine vinegar - 125g
- sugar - 180g
- sea salt - 1.5 tsp
- allspice - 1/4 tsp, ground
- cloves - 1/4 tsp, ground
- pepper - a few grinds, black
- cayenne pepper - pinch
- Boil the kettle.
- Cut a small cross into the base of the whole tomatoes (1.5kg) and place them into a large mixing bowl. Cover with boiling water and leave for 1-2 minutes to soak. Drain the water and, once cool enough, peel the skins off and quarter the tomatoes. Set aside.
- Place the halved onions (250g), garlic cloves (2), ginger (2cm piece) and deseeded chillies (1-2) into the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the peeled tomatoes to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the red wine vinegar (125g), sugar (180g), sea salt (1.5 tsp), ground allspice (1/4 tsp), ground cloves (1/4 tsp), black pepper (a few grinds) and cayenne pepper (pinch) to the bowl. Program 90 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.5-2. Set the internal steaming basket on top of the lid to prevent spatters. If your mixer cannot be programmed above 60 minutes, simply program 60 minutes and then add another 30 minutes at the end of the cooking time.
- Program a further 60 minutes / 100C / Speed 2, or until your desired consistency is reached.
- Carefully pour into warm sterilised jars. Refrigerate and use within two weeks or at your own discretion.