Spicy Tomato Quinoa with Veggies
This recipe comes from the amazingly talented Lisa Corduff, found of Small Steps to Wholefoods, an innovative online program encouraging participants to eat more real food, one small step at a time.
"Sometimes it's when your back is against the wall that the most creative and delicious things happen in the kitchen. Or not? Ha! Lucky for me, this experiment worked and is definitely share-worthy." - Lisa
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Can be frozen
- quinoa - 100g, rinsed thoroughly
- onion - 1 red, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2
- olive oil - 25g
- tomato paste - 50g
- tomatoes - 400g tin, diced
- vegetable stock - 1 Tbsp, paste
- water - 250g
- cumin - 1 tsp, seeds, ground
- dried coriander - 1 tsp, ground, seed
- chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- eggplant - 1 medium sized, cut into cubes
- cauliflower - 1/2 head, cut into florets
- zucchini - 1, sliced thinly
- capsicum - 1 red, sliced thinly
- dulse flakes - to garnish
- Measure the quinoa (100g) into the internal steaming basket and then rinse under the tap in a sieve really well. Set aside.
- Add onion (1) and garlic (2) to bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds.
- Add olive oil (25g), cumin (1 tsp) coriander (1 tsp), chilli (1/2 tsp) to bowl. Program 3 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add tomato paste (50g), tomatoes (400g), stock (250g) and then add the basket into the bowl.
- Add eggplant (1) and cauliflower (1/2) to steaming attachment lower dish. Cook on 20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Place zucchini (1) and capsicum (1) to the steaming attachment upper tray and put into place once there are only 10 minutes left in cooking time. Make sure you move the veggies around halfway through cooking time.
- Once finished put the vegetables into an insulated server. Add quinoa and tomato mixture and combine well.
- Sprinkle some dulse flakes over the top and serve.