Spicy Tomato Chutney
Many of us would have memories of our grandparents in the kitchen making up big saucepans of relish and pickles. There is something about the smell of vinegar that always reminds me of childhood. This Spicy Tomato Chutney is a quick and easy chutney you can whip up in no time at all. I can’t promise it will be as good as Grandma’s, but it is delicious! – Peta
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is so easy to make - things I love about it are: minimal prep time; a little goes a long way; can freeze some for later use; tasted great - right balance of sweet/tart. Cheese sandwiches will love it!" - Lou
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 2 minutes
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Serves approx. 800ml
Can be frozen
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- oil - 10g
- curry powder - 1 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp
- tomatoes - 850g, diced
- sugar - 80g
- brown vinegar - 100g
- sultanas - 50g
- Add onion (1) and garlic (1) to the bowl and chop Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Add oil (10g), curry powder (1 tsp), mustard seeds (1 tsp) and pepper (1/2 tsp). Cook 3 minutes / 110C / Speed 2.
- Add tomatoes (850g), sugar (80g) and brown vinegar (100g). Cook for 35 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Speed 2. Place internal steaming basket on top to prevent splatters.
- Add sultanas to the bowl. Speed 2 / 8 seconds. This will thicken upon cooling.
- Pour into sterilised jars and vacuum seal to keep for months. Otherwise store in a clean airtight jar and this chutney will last approx. 2 weeks.
* If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.