- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Serving: Serves 04-06
Spicy Thai Beef Curry
This winner dinner has been shared with us by Tenina Holder from Cooking with Tenina. This is really what cooking from scratch is all about. Making the curry powder, making the curry paste, then combining it all together for a stellar result. This recipe is sure to impress.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This recipe does take some time, but it's totally worth it! This curry is jam-packed with flavour, and the beef was perfectly cooked." - Shannah
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 55 minutes
Can be frozen
- Curry powder:
- dried coriander - 2 tsp, seeds
- cumin - 2 tsp, seeds
- cardamom - 1 tsp, seeds
- star anise - 1
- salt flakes - pink, pinch
- Curry paste:
- chillies - 3, red, dried, large, soaked
- water - boiling
- fresh coriander - handful, roots only (keep leaves for curry)
- onion - 1, red, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 6-8, peeled
- galangal - 3-4cm piece, peeled, or ginger
- lemongrass - 2 stalks, white part only
- gravy beef - 1.3kg, cubed
- coconut cream - 400g tin
- fish sauce - 100g (*ensure GF if required)
- coconut sugar - 50g
- peanuts - 50g, roasted, salted, crushed
- fresh coriander - handful, leaves only
- To serve:
- peanuts - roasted, salted, crushed
- fresh coriander
- coconut cream
- lime juice - to taste
- salt flakes - to taste
- Add the dried chillies (3) to a bowl with boiling water. Allow to soak for 10 minutes, then remove and set aside, reserving the water.
- Place a frying pan over medium to high heat.
- Add the coriander seeds (2 tsp), cumin seeds (2 tsp), cardamom seeds (1 tsp) and star anise (1) to the frying pan. Cook until fragrant. Allow to cool slightly.
- Add the spice mixture and salt (pinch) to the mixer bowl. Mill Speed 10 / 20 seconds.
- Add the soaked chillies (3), coriander roots (handful; keep the leaves!), red onion (1), garlic cloves (6-8), galangal (3-4cm piece), lemongrass (2 stalks) and a little of the water from soaking the chillies to the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 6 seconds.
- Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Blend Speed 6 / 30 seconds, stopping to scrape down sides as necessary.
- Add the cubed beef (1.3kg), coconut cream (400g tin), fish sauce (100g), sugar (50g), peanuts (50g) and coriander leaves (handful) to the bowl. Program 45 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Serve over rice with toppings and garnishes of choice.
Already a member? Click here to login.Add to Favourites