Spicy Pork Balls
These Spicy Pork Balls, shared with us by Alyce Alexandra from her book Quick Fix: Every Occasion. These are a favourite at The 4 Blades family functions - we regularly miss out on actually eating them as they disappear so quickly! They are yummy warm or cold. They are BEST cooked a day in advance to let the flavours develop, but we have also made them at the last minute with great success.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Oh my goodness, this was a winner with the entire family– no leftovers here!! Fantastic recipe." - Kylie
No: Dairy / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Makes 20-30 balls, depending on size
Can be frozen
- bread - 2 slices, wholemeal, frozen and halved (*can use GF bread or rice crumbs)
- onion - 1, brown, peeled and halved
- ginger - 3cm knob, peeled
- fresh coriander - 2, roots
- fresh coriander - handful, leaves only
- garlic cloves - 6, peeled
- mushrooms - 4, shiitake
- chilli - 1, large, halved
- pork fillet - 600g, roughly chopped and par-frozen
- egg - 1
- fish sauce - 10g
- shoyu - 10g (*can use tamari for GF)
- sesame oil - 25g
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- Chinese 5 spice - 1 tsp
- brown sugar - 1 tsp
- sesame seeds - to garnish
- Dipping sauce:
- ginger - 4cm knob, peeled
- tamari - 40g
- mirin - 10g
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add bread (2 slices) to bowl. Process Speed 7 / 15 seconds. Set aside.
- Add onion (1), ginger (3cm), coriander roots (2), coriander leaves (handful), garlic cloves (6), mushrooms (4) and chilli (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 5 seconds.
- Add par-frozen pork (300g only) to the bowl and mince Speed 9 / 10 seconds.
- Add remaining pork (300g) to the bowl. Mince Speed 9 / 10 seconds.
- Add egg (1), fish sauce (10g), shoyu (10g), sesame oil (25g), salt (1/2 tsp), five spice (1 tsp), brown sugar (1 tsp) and breadcrumbs. Mix Speed 3 / 15 seconds.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl with the spatula.
- Form mixture into small balls and place on a lined baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes, or until balls are browned and cooked through.
- Clean and dry the bowl before making the dipping sauce.
- Add ginger (4cm) to the bowl. Grate Speed 5 / 8 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add tamari (40g) and mirin (10g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
Transport balls in an airtight container with a layer of paper towel on the bottom of the container. Transport in an insulated bag to keep warm or with an icepack if serving cold.