Spicy Chicken Chimichangas
What a delicious way to enjoy a tortilla (and all things Mexican!) that isn't the usual burrito or taco! These spicy chicken chimichangas are not only easy to whip up, they can be tweaked to suit all tastes and what you have on hand. You can be as creative as you like. These are a great recipe to get the kiddies involved in. They can create their own chimichangas for dinner!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These were fabulous!" - Tracey
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Total Preparation Time 35-40 minutes
Can be frozen
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- jalapeños - 2, deseeded
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- cumin - 1 tsp, ground
- chilli powder - 1 tsp, mild
- oil - 20g
- chicken breast - 500g, diced
- tomato paste - 30g
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, black, ground
- fresh coriander - 2 Tbsp
- sour cream - 200g, plus extra to serve
- cheese - 200g, grated, plus extra to serve
- tortillas - 1 batch, cooked (*can use GF; make your own with the tortilla recipe from the Jalapeño and Cheese Quesadillas from this issue or the Flexible Grain Free Wraps recipe from The Packed Lunch Issue)
- butter - 20g, melted
- spring onions - 2, sliced, to serve
- If you need to grate your cheese, add cubed cheese (200g) to the bowl and grate Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Continue until preferred consistency is reached.
- Add the onion (1), garlic cloves (4) and jalapeños (2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 4 seconds.
- Add the cinnamon (1/2 tsp), cumin (1 tsp), chilli powder (1 tsp) and oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Add the diced chicken (500g) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / 100C / Speed 2, measuring cap on. Drain any liquid that has formed.
- Add the tomato paste (30g), salt (1 tsp), pepper (1/2 tsp) and coriander (2 Tbsp) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 4 / 6 seconds.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Spread sour cream (approx. 1 Tbsp, 200g total) over a tortilla. Place some of the chicken mix into the centre of each tortilla and top with cheese (approx. 1 Tbsp, 200g total).
- Fold the two ends in and roll into a log shape.
- Place onto the prepared tray. Repeat for all tortillas.
- Brush each chimichanga with butter (20g).
- Bake for 12-17 minutes, or until golden.
- Use your choice of toppings to serve with your chimichangas. We love using cheese, spring onions and a dollop of sour cream, as mentioned in the ingredients list.