Spice Encrusted Rack of Lamb
This is one of the easiest and tastiest ways to cook lamb to perfection and have it on the table in less than an hour. The spice crust complements the meat and winter vegetables perfectly. Of course, you can also cook up other vegetables whilst you have everything in the oven, to make it go further. The added benefit is that this is an all-in-one meal, utilising multiple levels in your thermo mixer. The bulk of the cooking is done in the mixer, and it is finished off in a hot oven. The finished product can be deliciously colourful, based on your choice of 'extras'.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Total Preparation Time 45 minutes
Best served fresh, or reheated from refrigerator
- cumin - 1 tbsp or 10g, seeds
- fresh coriander - 1 tbsp or 5g, seeds
- lemon - 1, zest
- chilli flakes - 1/2 tsp
- pistachios - 30g, raw, shelled
- salt flakes - 1/2-1 tbsp (less if using fine salt)
- almonds - 40g
- olive oil - 60g
- mustard - 2 tsp or 15g, Dijon
- rack of lamb - 2, able to fit in the lower dish of the steaming attachment
- cauliflower - 1/2 head, in florets, able to fit in the simmering basket
- Dutch carrots - 2 bunches
- accompaniments - e.g. cherry tomatoes on the vine, broccoli florets, asparagus, optional
- Add cumin seeds (10g) and coriander seeds (5g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 115C* / Stirring Speed.
- Program 1 minute / Speed 10 to grind spices.
- Add lemon zest (from 1 lemon) and chilli flakes (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Grind Speed 10 / 30 seconds.
- Add pistachios (30g) and salt flakes (1/2 - 1 Tbsp) to the bowl. Speed 7 / 5 seconds.
- Reserve 2 Tbsp of the dry salt mix and set aside.
- Make the wet seasoning mix by adding almonds (40g), olive oil (60g) and mustard (15g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 3 seconds.
- Sit the lamb racks into the lower dish of the steaming attachment and spread seasoning mixture over them generously, reserving a small amount for the cauliflower. If you have larger racks that don't allow the upper tray to sit in the steaming attachment, you can cook the carrots underneath the lamb, as pictured.
- Fill simmering basket with cauliflower florets. Spread some wet seasoning mixture over them.
- Once the bulk of the seasoning mixture has been removed, fill the mixer bowl with 500g of hot water, without washing the bowl.
- Put bowl, simmering basket (with cauliflower), lid and lower dish of the steaming attachment (with lamb) in place.
- Put the upper tray of the steaming attachment in place and lay the carrots on it. Put the lid on the steaming attachment.
- Program 25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Once the steaming has finished, transfer contents of your thermo mixer to the roasting pan(s), sprinkle with the additional salt (previously set aside) and the cherry tomatoes, if using them. Put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- If you wish to serve greens, prepare them in the steaming attachment. Steam 5-10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Optional: Before removing the lamb from the oven, check the lamb with an oven thermometer if you have one. Also check the crust to see if it is to your desired crispiness. If you find that the lamb isn't cooked to your preference, you can return to the oven.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let the lamb rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with the vegetables. For presentation, serve the rack whole and cut into cutlets at the table.