Spelt and Seed Loaf
This delicious spelt and seed loaf can be prepared in three minutes, but don't let the quick prep time fool you! It's deviously fluffy. A great bread for sandwiches or to dunk into soup. This recipe has been shared with us by Sophia Handschuh from Thermomix Baking Blogger.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “I really liked this bread, and it is so quick to make. The soft texture of the bread coupled with the crunchy crust makes for my ideal kind of bread loaf. I was so proud to be able to replicate something like this myself, as bread making is certainly not my strong point!" - Aoife
No: Dairy / Egg
Contains: Gluten / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes + 1 hour rising time
Cooking Time 50-60 minutes
Makes 1 loaf
Can be frozen
You will need:
750g-1kg loaf tin (medium)
wire cooling rack
- spelt - 500g, grain
- almonds - 100g, whole
- seeds of choice - 100g, mixed, (pumpkin, sunflower, etc.)
- yeast - 3 tsp, dry active, (or 30g fresh yeast)
- sea salt - 2 tsp
- balsamic vinegar - 30g
- water - 450g
- cumin - 1/2 tsp, seeds
- caraway seeds - 1/2 tsp
- brown sugar - 1 tsp, dark
- Line a 750g-1kg loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place half of the spelt grain (250g only) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 10 / 40 seconds. Set aside in a mixing bowl.
- Add the whole almonds (100g) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 6 / 3 seconds. Transfer into the bowl with the spelt grain. Note that the almonds will be in coarse pieces rather than meal.
- Place the remaining spelt grain (250g) in the mixer bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 10.
- Add the reserved grain and almonds, mixed seeds (100g), dry active yeast (3 tsp), sea salt (2 tsp), balsamic vinegar (30g), water (450g), cumin seeds (1/2 tsp), caraway seeds (1/2 tsp) and dark brown sugar (1 tsp) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / Closed Lid / Kneading Function.
- Pour the dough into the prepared loaf tin and cover with a tea towel. The dough should be sticky and wet. Leave to rise for 1 hour.
- Five minutes before you want to bake the bread, switch on the oven to 220C or 200C fan forced.
- Place the loaf in the oven and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the bread sounds hollow when tapped. Keep an eye on your loaf as all ovens will vary slightly.
- Remove from the loaf tin and place on a wire cooling rack. Leave to cool entirely before slicing.