Spanakopita is a Greek savoury pie made with spinach. If you find silverbeet on special, you can use that instead. This recipe requires a few more ingredients, but it really goes the distance. This will feed a family of four over two nights. It's also a great way to get a serve of greens and dairy into your family in a very flavoursome way. Consider making more than you need and freeze the leftovers as a delicious option for the nights when it feels like all you can manage is takeaway. It can be served with salad or vegetables.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Great dish, easy to make, great for a big family or to have multiple meals ready from the one dish." - Sandra
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 45-60 minutes
Can be frozen
- spinach - 1 large bunch, or silverbeet, thinly sliced
- bread - 1 slice, day old
- eggs - 5 large
- feta cheese - 200g
- ricotta cheese - 200g
- nutmeg - pinch
- spring onions - 2, thinly sliced
- pepper - to taste
- filo pastry - 375g packet
- butter - 100g, melted
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease baking dish.
- Wash and thoroughly dry the spinach. There needs to be no liquid otherwise your spanakopita will be runny. Thinly slice once dried. If using silverbeet only use the green leaves and not the stalk.
- Place bread slice (1) into bowl. Speed 7 / 6 seconds.
- Add eggs (5), feta (200g), ricotta (200g), nutmeg (pinch), spring onion (2), half the spinach and pepper to taste to bowl. Speed 5 / 6 seconds to combine. You may need to put your spatula through the hole in the lid to aid in mixing.
- Add the remaining dry spinach to the bowl. Use a spatula to mix the spinach through the cheese mixture.
- Place one sheet of filo pastry in the base of the large dish. Brush a little melted butter over the pastry. Place another layer of filo pastry on top. Brush with a little melted butter. Repeat until you have used half of the pastry.
- Pour cheese and spinach filling on top of the pastry and smooth out with a spatula.
- Repeat step 6 to create a pastry lid for the pie. Use the remaining pastry. Once the final sheet is in place, trim any excess pastry from the sides of the dish and brush a little melted butter over the top.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until the pastry is golden and filling is cooked through.
- Serve with salad or vegetables.