Soy-Free Veggie Stir-Through
What do you call a stir fry that never touches a frying pan? Well, we call it a stir-through. We've made this variety soy-free as so many typical stir fries are made on soy sauce, which is a bit of a shame if you have a sensitivity to soy!. The unlikely replacement ingredient is Vegemite™ (or Mighty Mite™ for a gluten-free alternative!) The veggies cook up in the steaming attachment, while a delicious sauce brews below. Want to stock up on veggies in a really yummy way? This recipe is for you. The best part is that using this method will give you that par-cooked, authentic stir-fry crunch. It's super easy and delicious.
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Total Preparation Time 25 minutes
Can be frozen
- garlic cloves - 2
- ginger - 6cm piece
- chilli - 1, small
- vegetable stock - 30g, concentrate
- Vegemite - 20g (*or Mighty Mite for GF)
- lemon - half, juice only
- balsamic vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- sesame oil - 1 Tbsp
- apple cider vinegar - 1 tsp
- water - 500g
- cauliflower - 1/3 head
- carrot - 2
- broccoli - 1/2 head
- zucchini - 1, large
- bok choy - 2 bunches
- capsicum - 1, red
- snow peas - handful
- fresh coriander - 1 bunch
- tapioca starch - 1 Tbsp (e.g. potato starch, cornstarch)
- water - 1/4 cup
- Boil the kettle.
- Add garlic cloves (2), ginger (6cm piece) and chilli (1) to bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds.
- Add vegetable stock paste (30g), Vegemite or alternative (20g), lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon), balsamic vinegar (1 Tbsp), sesame oil (1 Tbsp), apple cider vinegar (1 tsp) and boiled water (500g) into bowl.
- Place lid and steaming attachment in place, but with the lid off the steaming attachment. Program 20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- With a knife chop (in this order) cauliflower (1/3 head) into florets, carrots (2) into sticks and broccoli (1/2 head) into florets. Add them to the steaming attachment lower dish once they are prepared. Place lid onto steaming attachment when you are finished adding vegetables. Make sure there is room for the upper tray.
- Chop zucchini (1) and baby bok choy (2 bunches) to desired size. When there is 9 minutes of steaming time left, place on top tray of steaming attachment with the lid on.
- Chop capsicum (1) and snow peas (handful) to desired size.
- Once vegetables have finished steaming, place them in a large serving bowl and add fresh capsicum and snow peas to the bowl as well. Cover with a lid. The capsicum and snow peas will cook perfectly with the heat from the dish.
- Combine starch (1 Tbsp) with water (1/4 cup) in a small bowl.
- Add coriander (1 bunch) and starch / water mixture to the liquid in the bowl and blitz Speed 9 / 10 seconds.
- Pour sauce over vegetables.
- Stir through and serve.