Slow Cooked Pulled BBQ Chicken
This delicious dinner with homemade BBQ sauce is sure to be a winner. It is from TRTLMT's Mixing It Slow Volume 2 cookbook. To make this go even further, stir any leftover sauce through some cooked pasta. You will find yourself with a second delicious dinner with minimal effort!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A huge winner in our house! Great as a sandwich filler, or you could even cook and serve the breasts whole with roast veggies and use the BBQ sauce as 'gravy'. Loved it!" - Claire
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 6 hours 25 minutes
Serves 6, can be doubled
Can be frozen
You will need:
internal steaming basket
- chicken breast - 4, whole
- bread - 6, brioche, rolls, to serve, can omit or use GF
- BBQ sauce:
- onion - 1/2, peeled and halved
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- molasses - 50g, or treacle
- brown sugar - 60g
- tomato paste - 20g
- Worcestershire sauce - 50g, ensure GF if required
- paprika - 2 tsp, smoked
- mustard powder - 2 tsp, yellow
- passata - 400g
- apple cider vinegar - 20g
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, cracked, black
- Add the peeled and halved onion (1/2) and peeled garlic clove (1) to the mixer bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the molasses (50g), brown sugar (60g), tomato paste (20g), Worcestershire sauce (50g), smoked paprika (2 tsp), yellow mustard powder (2 tsp), passata (400g), apple cider vinegar (20g), salt (1/2 tsp) and cracked black pepper (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Set the internal steaming basket on top of the lid to prevent spatters. Program 25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Place the chicken breasts (4) into the slow cooker.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over the chicken.
- Cook on Low for 6 hours.
- Carefully remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker and place onto a chopping board.
- Using two forks, gently pull the chicken apart to shred it. Move to slow cooker. Mix to coat all of the chicken in the sauce. If you don't wish to do this by hand, you can 'shred' the chicken in your mixer using Reverse+Speed 4 / 2 seconds.
- Serve chicken in brioche rolls (6).
Make your own!
* Make your own brioche bread with the Golden Brioche Buns recipe from The Baking Issue.
* Make your own tomato paste with the Pizza Sauce / Tomato Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.
* Make your own Worcestershire sauce with the Worcestershire Sauce recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.
* Make your own passata with the Passata recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.