Slow Cooked Lamb Curry with Pappadums
How good is coming home to a fragrant curry that's ready to go? This curry is so easy to prepare. All the hard work is done over 8 hours while it cooks away in your slow cooker. Jam-packed full of flavour, this is perfect served over a bowl of steaming hot rice. This recipe has been shared by our very own Peta, from her TRTLMT book Mixing It Slow.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This simple curry packs a huge flavour punch and would be great for a cold winter day. Tone down the hot spices for a more family friendly meal." - Kylie
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 6-8 hours
Serves 4-6, can be doubled
Curry can be frozen
- white rice - 400g, basmati
- water - 1.1L, hot
- pappadums - to serve
- onion - 2, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- coconut oil - 20g
- mustard seeds - 2 tsp, black
- curry powder - 2 tsp
- cardamom - 1 tsp, ground
- chilli powder - 1 tsp
- turmeric - 2 tsp
- paprika - 2 tsp
- cumin - 2 tsp, ground
- fenugreek - 1 tsp, seeds
- cinnamon - 1/4 tspm ground
- pepper - 1 tsp, cracked, black
- beef stock - 250g, good quality, liquid
- diced lamb - 1kg
- plain flour - 1 Tbsp (*can use GF)
- Place onions (2) and garlic cloves (2) into the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the oil (20g), mustard seeds (2 tsp), curry powder (2 tsp), cardamom (1 tsp), chilli powder (1 tsp), turmeric (2 tsp), paprika (2 tsp), cumin (2 tsp), fenugreek seeds (1 tsp), cinnamon (1/4 tsp) and pepper (1 tsp) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 2, measuring cap off.
- Add the stock (250g) to the bowl. Program 8 minutes / 100C / Speed 2, measuring cap on.
- Place the lamb (1kg) and plain flour (1 Tbsp) into the slow cooker bowl and combine well.
- Pour the stock mixture from the mixer to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Check that the meat is very tender. Continue cooking if necessary, or add a little water if it is drying out.
- Before serving, commence cooking your rice. Place rice (400g) into the internal steaming basket. Rinse thoroughly under water. Set the basket in place.
- Pour hot water (1.1L) over the rice into the bowl. Program 20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 4, measuring cap on.
- Serve curry over rice and serve with pappadums.