Slow Cooked Beef and Broccoli
This is one of the most popular recipes from Peta's Mixing It Slow Volume 2 cookbook. When served over rice, this meal really goes the distance and is certainly sure to impress. We are told that it's even better the next day, when the flavours have really developed.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A wonderful flavoursome dish that feeds heaps of people." - Heidi
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 4 hours
Can be frozen
You will need:
large snap lock bag
- casserole beef - 2.5kg, cut into strips
- cornflour - 2 Tbsp, ensure GF if required
- onion - 2, large, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 6, peeled
- ginger - 4cm piece, peeled
- beef stock - 500g, liquid
- soy sauce - 120g, salt reduced, ensure GF if required
- rice wine vinegar - 40g
- brown sugar - 75g
- pepper - 2 tsp, cracked, black
- broccoli - 300g, florets
- rice - steamed, to serve
- broccoli - steamed, to garnish
- sesame seeds - to garnish
- Add the beef strips (2.5kg) and cornflour (2 Tbsp) to a large snap lock bag. Shake to coat the beef in cornflour. Place beef strips into the slow cooker.
- Add the peeled and quartered onions (2), peeled garlic cloves (6) and peeled ginger (4cm piece) to the mixer bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the liquid beef stock (500g), soy sauce (120g), rice wine vinegar (40g), brown sugar (75g) and cracked black pepper (2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 10 seconds.
- Pour the stock mixture into the slow cooker over the beef. Stir to combine well.
- Cook on Low for 3 hours or until beef is tender. Stir every hour or so.
- Add the broccoli florets (300g) and stir to combine. Continue cooking on Low for another hour.
- Serve beef over steamed rice. Garnish with additional steamed broccoli and toasted sesame seeds.