Originating from the USA in the early 20th century, Sloppy Joes are a common American dish that are the perfect addition to your American BBQ. They make awesome leftovers (if there are any!) for lunches the next day!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These looked amazing and tasted AMAZING!!!! I would have never tried this recipe (because the name of it makes me sick...) but I am so glad you asked me to because it is just the best flavour ever! I will definitely be making this again!! I would even make it for guests!" - Sarah
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Total Preparation Time 20 minutes
Meat component can be frozen
- buns - 6, burger (*can be GF)
- Sloppy Joes:
- capsicum - 1, green, roughly chopped
- onion - 1, small, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2
- olive oil - drizzled for cooking
- beef mince - 500g, lean
- Worcestershire sauce - 2 Tbsp, recipe in the Make Your Own Subscriber Bonus (*ensure GF if required)
- tomato sauce - 200g, thick, recipe in the Make Your Own Subscriber Bonus
- chilli flakes - 1/2 tsp
- brown sugar - 2 Tbsp, optional
- salt - to season
- pepper - to season
- Optional extras:
- tomato - slices
- gherkins - sliced
- Place capsicum (1), onion (1) and garlic (2) into bowl. Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add Worcestershire sauce (2 Tbsp), tomato sauce (200g), chilli flakes (1/2 tsp), brown sugar (2 Tbsp) and salt and pepper (to season) to the mixer bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 2 / 10 seconds.
- Fire up your BBQ and begin to heat your BBQ safe pot or tray. Add a drizzle of oil. Of course, you can use your stove if you prefer. Cook over a medium heat.
- Brown mince (500g) in the pot, before pouring the sauce over and allowing to cook for 10-30 minutes, stirring often. The sauce will reduce over this time. Take it off the BBQ or stove once the liquid has gone.
- Toast your hamburger buns on the BBQ.
- Once the mince has finished cooking serve it on top of the bread rolls with a side of potato crisps and any optional extras.