Simple Gourmet Mac and Cheese
This recipe has been shared with us by Carmen Smith.
"Everyone loves mac and cheese! This recipe gives the famous comfort dish a delicious gourmet twist. You can easily modify and adapt the recipe depending on what you have in your pantry or to suit your family's favourite cheeses. And you can even shorten the cooking time if you're in a hurry! This will become a family favourite." - Carmen
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Quick and easy – the kids loved it!" - Vicki
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Can be frozen
- cheddar cheese - 150g, grated
- Parmesan cheese - 150g, grated, plus extra to top
- breadcrumbs - 80g, or stale bread (*can use GF)
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- milk - 1kg
- plain flour - 60g (*can use GF)
- butter - 45g, plus extra for greasing
- Vegemite - 10g
- Worcestershire sauce - 5-10g (*ensure GF if required; make your own with the Worcestershire Sauce recipe from The Make Your Own Subscriber Bonus Issue)
- mustard - 5g, wholegrain, or Dijon mustard
- soy sauce - 1/2 tsp (*ensure GF if required)
- fresh thyme - 2-3 sprigs, leaves only
- pasta - 500g, dried or fresh macaroni, or your choice of other pasta (*can use GF)
- truffle - shaved, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a baking dish.
- Boil some water on the stovetop to cook the pasta.
- If you need to grate your cheese, add the cheddar cheese (150g) to the bowl. Grate Speed 7 / 5-10 seconds. Set aside. Add the Parmesan cheese (150g) to the bowl. Grate Speed 8 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
Breadcrumbs: (skip if not baking)
- If you need to make your own breadcrumbs, add the stale or toasted bread (80g) to the bowl. Blitz Closed Lid / Turbo / 2 x 1 second blasts.
- To the breadcrumbs (80g), add the grated Parmesan cheese (50g only). Combine Reverse+Speed 3 / 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Rinse the bowl to remove the breadcrumbs.
- Add the garlic cloves (4) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the grated cheddar (150g), grated Parmesan cheese (100g only), milk (1kg), plain flour (60g), butter (45g), Vegemite (10g), Worcestershire sauce (5-10g), mustard (5g), soy sauce (1/2 tsp), thyme leaves (from 2-3 sprigs) and salt to the bowl. Program 12 minutes / 90C / Speed 3.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta (500g) according to packet instructions on the stovetop. Drain the pasta.
- Optional: If you don't want to bake this dish, stop here. Mix the cheese sauce through your cooked and drained pasta. Top individual dishes with the remaining Parmesan cheese (50g) and serve.
- Otherwise, tip the pasta into the prepared baking dish. Mix the cheese sauce through the pasta.
- Cover the top of your saucy pasta with the breadcrumb mixture.
- If desired, sprinkle a thin layer of extra Parmesan cheese over the top of the breadcrumbs for an even cheesier finish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the top is golden.
- If you're extra fancy, serve with some shaved truffles on top! Or maybe with a fresh green salad on the side. Or just eat it as it is – it's already scrumptious!