Silverside with Onion Thyme Sauce
Silverside is a favourite with many but people often don't want to have it cooking away for hours upon hours upon hours. You can cook silverside easily and much more quickly in your steaming attachment. The trick is not to over cook it or it becomes dry and unpleasant. We recommend allowing 30-40 minutes of cooking time per half kilo of silverside.
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 2 hours 15 minutes
Best served fresh, or kept in refrigerator for a few days
- water - 1L, hot
- peppercorns - 6
- cloves - 8
- onion - 1, peeled and sliced in half
- carrot - 1, sliced in half
- celery - 1 stalk
- corned beef - 1.5kg, preferably with a layer of fat to keep it moist
- Onion and thyme sauce:
- onion - 1 large, brown, peeled and quartered
- butter - 50g (*or DF spread)
- plain flour - 50g (*can use GF)
- milk - 500ml (*or DF milk)
- fresh thyme - 4 sprigs, use leaves only
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- Pour water (1L) into bowl. Add peppercorns (6) and cloves (8) to water.
- In the steaming attachment lower dish place the carrot (1), onion (1) and celery stalk (1).
- Rinse the silverside (1500g) under cold running water.
- Place on top of the vegetables in the steaming attachment lower dish. 60 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Top bowl up to the 1L mark with hot water. 60 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Check that your silverside is cooked before removing it and allowing it to rest whilst making the sauce.
- Place onion (1) into dry bowl. Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add butter (50g). 5 minutes / 90C / Speed 2.
- Add plain flour (50g), milk (500ml), thyme (4 sprigs) and salt and pepper to taste. Program 9 minutes / 90C / Speed 2.
- Slice silverside up and pour sauce over to serve.