Creating shortbread shapes with kids around Christmas time can be both fun and a nice homemade gift idea. Swipe ahead to check out our decoration ideas to make a Shortbread Tree.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Quick and easy recipe. Great fun for the kids to use cutters." - Brea
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 12-15 minutes
Makes 15-25 stars, depending on size
Can be frozen
- butter - 250g
- sugar - 90g
- vanilla bean paste - 1/2 Tbsp, less if you want a subtle taste
- rice flour - 100g, fine
- plain flour - 300g, plus extra for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place butter (250g), sugar (90g), vanilla (1/2 Tbsp), fine rice flour (100g) and plain flour (300g) into the bowl. Blitz Speed 6 / 20 seconds.
- Program 1 minute / Closed Lid / Kneading Function or until a dough has slightly formed. It may take a little longer depending on how cold your butter is. The longer you knead, the better it will come together.
- If it is too dry, add a few drops of milk or water to bring it together.
- Sprinkle bench with a little flour and slightly knead dough.
- Roll out into 0.5-1cm thickness.
- Flour cutters lightly and cut a variety of sized star shapes from the dough.
- Continue to knead, roll dough and cut shapes from it until all is used.
- Place smaller shapes on one baking tray and the larger stars on the other.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden. The time will depend on what shapes you used and their size.