Short soup is always a popular item at the local Chinese restaurant. The best part of a short soup is the wontons. Each region of China will have their own take on this delicious morsel, so today we have kept ours quite simple yet packed with flavour.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Dumplings were delicious! All in all, a tasty light soup. The chilli and spring onion definitely make the dish." - Chris
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 40 minutes
Cooking Time 18-20 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- chicken breast - 150g, chopped into 4 chunks
- pork mince - 200g
- garlic clove - 1, peeled and halved
- chilli - 1, mild, deseeded and roughly chopped
- oyster sauce - 20g
- sesame oil - 1 tsp
- fresh chives - 1/2 bunch
- wonton wrappers - 25
- chicken stock - 1L
- hokkien noodles - 150g, fresh
- water - hot
- bok choy - 2 bunches, thinly sliced
- spring onions - 2, sliced
- chillies - 2, red, sliced
- pepper - cracked, to taste
- Add the cubed chicken (150g), pork mince (200g), garlic clove (1), chilli (1), oyster sauce (20g), oil (1 tsp) and chives (1/2 bunch) to the bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 8 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Place a little of the mixture into the wonton wrappers (25) and push them together into small purse shapes, with flat bottoms. Seal the edges with some water.
- Put the wontons onto the oiled steaming attachment upper tray. Set aside.
- Add the chicken stock (1L) to the bowl. Set the steaming attachment in place. Program 18-20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2 or until cooked through. There will be one extra wonton, which can be your tester. This will leave 24 for the 6 servings.
- Soak the hokkien noodles (150g) in a bowl of hot water until they are soft and come apart easily.
- Set up 6 serving bowls (or fewer if preferred).
- Add some drained noodles and bok choy (2 bunches total) to each bowl.
- Top with four wontons in each bowl.
- Pour the broth over the noodles and wontons. Top with spring onions (2), chillies (2) and cracked pepper.
- Serve immediately.