Seared Prawn Skewers with Mandarin Soy Glaze
This is a delicious twist on the iconic Aussie 'shrimp on the barbie' from Tenina Holder of Cooking with Tenina. The glaze is deliciously sweet thanks to the brown sugar and mandarin, with a salty twist from the soy sauce. It combines perfectly with fresh seafood!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “An easy dish that will turn heads at any BBQ! The mandarins add a nice citrus flavour that complements the prawns. Good hit of chilli too." - Lauren
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes + 2 hours marinating time
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Makes 6 skewers
Can be frozen before cooking
You will need:
6 bamboo skewers, soaked in water overnight
- prawns - 24, green, unpeeled and deveined
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- chilli - 1, red
- brown sugar - 3 Tbsp, dark
- soy sauce - 60g, dark, ensure GF if required
- mandarin - 1, juice only
- mandarin - 2, halved
- fresh coriander - handful, leaves, chopped, to garnish
- Add the peeled garlic cloves (2), chilli (1), dark brown sugar (3 Tbsp), dark soy sauce (60g) and mandarin juice (from 1 mandarin) to the bowl. Blend Speed 10 / 10 seconds.
- Pour the glaze over the unpeeled and deveined prawns (24) and allow to marinate for 2 hours.
- Brush the BBQ or flat grill plate with oil and heat over a medium heat until just smoking.
- Thread 4 prawns onto each soaked skewer (6).
- Cook the marinated prawns on both sides until cooked, brushing with some excess marinade. Add the mandarin halves (from 2 mandarins) to the BBQ cut side down.
- Serve the prawn skewers sprinkled with chopped coriander leaves (handful), with the grilled mandarin halves on the side.