On a trip to Singapore, Joe took it upon himself to create the best laksa recipe for The 4 Blades community. After many attempts, he really nailed it. Well, this seafood variation of the original really steps it up a notch again. We love it, and we hope you will too!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Kudos to Joe! As it happened, my Malaysian friend was here for dinner so we had a real critic. The end result was an absolutely delicious meal with beautiful flavours. My friend thought the smell and taste were spot on." - Kristen
No: Gluten / Dairy
Contains: Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Egg
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Can be frozen
- chilli - 6, dried
- dried shrimp - 2 Tbsp
- water - warm
- eschallots - 4 (small brown variety), peeled and halved
- macadamia nuts - 2, or candlenuts
- lemongrass - 1 stalk, white part only
- galangal - 1cm piece, peeled
- shrimp paste - 1 tsp
- dried coriander - 1/2 tsp, seeds
- turmeric - 1 tsp
- coconut oil - 40g or oil of choice
- water - 500g, boiling
- prawns - 4, green, shells on
- fresh mixed seafood - 200g
- vegetable stock - 1 Tbsp, paste
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- sugar - 1 tsp, or xylitol
- rice noodles - 200g, dried
- coconut cream - 200g
- tofu - 8-10, fried, puffs, optional
- Toppings (optional):
- egg - 1, boiled, *omit for EF
- bean sprouts - 50g
- cucumber - shredded
- laksa leaves
- Boil water (500g) for the broth.
- Add dried chillies (6) and dried shrimp (2 Tbsp) to a small bowl, cover with warm water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add eschallots (4), candlenuts (2), lemongrass (1 stalk), galangal (1cm piece), shrimp paste (1 tsp), coriander seeds (1/2 tsp), turmeric (1 tsp) and the soaked and drained chillies and shrimp to the bowl. Blend Speed 10 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides and repeat 2 or 3 more times.
- Add the oil (40g) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / 100C / Stirring Speed.
- Add the prawns (4), marinara mix (200g) and stock paste (1 Tbsp) to an insulated server. Pour boiling water (500g) over them and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Set the internal steaming basket in place inside the bowl. Pour the broth with prawns and marinara mix into the internal steaming basket, allowing the broth to drain through to the bowl. Remove the internal steaming basket.
- Add the salt (1/2 tsp) and sugar (1 tsp) to the bowl.
- Place an egg (1, if using) into the internal steaming basket. Set the basket in place. Program 15 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.5, measuring cap on.
- Remove the egg and basket. Program 15 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.5.
- Prepare the rice noodles (200g) according to packet instructions.
- Peel the prawns, leaving the tails on for presentation.
- Allow soup to come off the boil. Add the coconut cream (200g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / 90C / Speed 2.
- Place the cooked noodles, marinara mix and the fried tofu (8-10) into four bowls, then pour the broth over the top.
- Top with prawns, bean sprouts (50g), shredded cucumber, laksa leaves and half a boiled egg sliced lengthways.