Sausage & White Bean Cassoulet
This comforting classic cassoulet can be made as budget or as fancy as you like. For a budget option, use standard pork sausages. For a fancier cassoulet, consider using quality pork sausages from your butcher, and add a little freshly cooked chorizo for a flavour kick. If you need this on the table faster you can leave off the breadcrumbs and omit cooking in the oven. Just serve as a deliciously robust casserole straight out of the bowl!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Who doesn't love an awesome casserole. In the words of Mr 4 'I love it so much Mummy! I'm going to eat it all in my belly, belly, belly!'" - Sharree
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Total Preparation Time 1 hour
Can be frozen
- sausages - 4, pork (*ensure GF if required)
- bread - 70g (*can use GF)
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- fresh thyme - 5 stalks
- lemon - 1/2, zest only
- olive oil - 35g
- onion - 100g
- carrot - 80g
- celery - 50g
- tomato paste - 20g
- paprika - 1 tsp
- red wine - 110g
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, diced
- vegetable stock - 10g, paste
- water - 240g
- cannellini beans - 400g tin, drained and rinsed
- Heat a small frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the sausages (4) until they have browned on the outside. They will be cooking in the oven so it is ok if they aren’t cooked through. Remove from heat and slice into bite sized pieces.
- Make the breadcrumbs: Add bread (70g), garlic cloves (1 only), fresh thyme (5 stalks) and lemon zest (from 1/2 lemon) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 10 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add olive oil (15g only) and blitz again Speed 10 / 2 seconds. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add onion (100g), carrot (80g), celery (50g), remaining garlic cloves (3) and thyme leaves (from 5 stalks) to the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add remaining olive oil (20g) and program 6 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add tomato paste (20g), paprika (1 tsp), red wine (110g), tomatoes (400g), stock paste (10g), water (240g), drained and rinsed beans (400g tin), along with cooked sausage pieces. Program 15 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Pour cassoulet mixture into the ovenproof dish and top with breadcrumbs.
- Cook uncovered for 20 minutes, or until crumbs have browned slightly.
* If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
** We use stock pastes made with half the recommended salt