For a classic family dinner you can't go past this super delicious sausage casserole. Packed with beans, sausages, bacon and a rich tomato sauce, it is the ideal food for a cold rainy day. Super easy and very tasty. Check out the bottom of the recipe for handy freezer tips.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is a very hearty winter meal and was very tasty and easy to make." - Kirsty
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 50 minutes
Can be frozen
- bacon - 6 rashers, smoked
- sausages - 6 (*ensure GF if required)
- oil - 40g
- onion - 1, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, chopped
- paprika - 1 tsp, smoked
- water - 200g
- chicken stock - 1 cube
- tomato paste - 20g
- Worcestershire sauce - 10g (*ensure GF if required; make your own using the Worcestershire Sauce recipe from the Make Your Own Subscriber Bonus Issue)
- brown sugar - 30g, dark
- dried oregano - 1 tsp
- bay leaves - 2
- fresh thyme - 2 sprigs, leaves only
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, black, ground
- red wine - 100g
- broad beans - 400g, tinned, drained and rinsed
- In a large nonstick frying pan, fry the bacon (6 rashers) and sausages (6) in oil (20g only) until nicely browned all over. Remove and set aside in a small bowl.
- Meanwhile, place the onion (1) and garlic cloves (2) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 5 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g). Program 5 minutes / 120C* / Speed 1.
- Add the chilli powder (1/2 tsp), tomatoes (400g tin), smoked paprika (1 tsp), water (200g), stock cube (1), tomato paste (20g), Worcestershire sauce (10g), brown sugar (30g), oregano (1 tsp), bay leaves (2), thyme leaves (from 2 sprigs), salt (1/2 tsp), pepper (1/2 tsp) and red wine (100g) to the bowl. Program 30 minutes / 100C / Speed 1, measuring cap off. Set the internal steaming basket on the lid instead to avoid splatters.
- Meanwhile, chop the sausages in large pieces. Drain and rinse the broad beans (400g tin).
- Add the sausages, bacon and beans to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 90C / Reverse+Speed 1, or until heated through. Serve immediately.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
- Portion this dish into airtight containers before freezing. Thaw and reheat before eating.
- To reheat, simply warm in a small saucepan for 10 minutes on medium heat, or use a microwave.