Saucy Sausages and Mash
Nothing beats sausages and mash especially on cold nights. I love dipping a forkful of potato in the sauce (hence why it's a little runnier). Sausages are often cheaper when you purchase in bulk so if your family enjoys this recipe, buy a bulk pack and package up the sausages in your freezer accordingly. - Peta.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "What a lovely, tasty meal for any season of the year and yet simple and economical. We enjoyed it immensely." - Marie
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Dairy
Total Preparation Time 1 hour
Can be frozen
- onion - 1, peeled and roughly chopped
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- apple - 1, cored and peeled
- oil - 1 Tbsp
- plain flour - 40g (*can use GF )
- paprika - 1 Tbsp sweet (or Hungarian)
- sausages - 10, thin
- beef stock - 500g
- tomato paste - 50g
- potatoes - 500g, peeled and cubed
- water - 900g, hot
- butter - 20g (*can use DF spread)
- salt - to season
- pepper - to season
- Place potatoes (500g) into internal steaming basket and put into place. Pour hot water (900g) over the potatoes into the bowl.
- Into steaming attachment lower dish lay 5 of the sausages on the bottom lengthways, and 5 on top sideways. This allows steam to rise and even cooking.
- Program 24 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Remove steaming attachment and internal steaming basket from bowl. Set aside. Drain out liquid.
- Add onion (1), apple (1) and garlic (1) to bowl. Speed 7 / 5 seconds.
- Add oil (1 Tbsp), plain flour (40g) and paprika (1 Tbsp). Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Scrape down.
- Whilst that is cooking remove any skin from the sausages and discard. Slice sausages into 8 pieces.
- Add beef stock (500g) and tomato paste (50g) and season well with salt and pepper.
- Program 12 minutes / 100C / Speed 3.
- Whilst this is cooking, add the potatoes to a large bowl with butter (20g) and season well with salt and pepper. Mash your potatoes using a potato masher.
- Carefully insert whisk attachment into the bowl and add sausages to the bowl.
- Program 5 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Serve saucy sausages on top of mash.
Note: We have added a small spoonful of sour cream on top of the saucy sausages for a tangy twist to cut through the sweetness in the sauce from the apple.