Salted Chocolate Shortbread
We put a little twist on traditional shortbread with this salted chocolate variation. This is a go-to recipe when guests are on their way over with little notice as it uses basic ingredients and better yet – it can be on a serving plate in under 30 minutes.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A modern, chocolatey take on regular shortbread. Quick and easy to prepare, with a lovely taste and a buttery yet crisp shortbread texture." - Nadia
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 8-12 minutes
Can be frozen
- butter - 250g, cubed
- plain flour - 300g, plus extra for dusting
- rice flour - 100g, fine
- cacao powder - 40g
- salt flakes - 1.5 tsp
- caster sugar - 100g
- vanilla - 1 tsp, extract
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- If you need to make your own caster sugar, add sugar (100g) and grind Speed 9 / 3 seconds.
- Add the butter (250g), plain flour (300g), rice flour (100g), cacao (40g), salt (1.5 tsp), sugar (100g) and vanilla (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 8 / 45 seconds, or until a dough forms.
- Flour the bench slightly, transfer dough to the bench and roll out dough to 1 cm thick. If you find your dough is too soft, simply place it into the fridge to firm up slightly before cutting.
- Using a round cutter, cut 30 small circles from the dough. You may need to re-roll the offcuts in order to get the 30 cookies.
- Place cookies onto trays, leaving a little room between each.
- Prick the centres with a fork twice in a criss cross pattern.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes until cooked through.
- Allow to cool on the tray before removing and storing in an airtight container.