Salted Caramel Mud Cake
This amazingly delicious cake has been shared with us by Lucy from Bake Play Smile. It is an incredibly dense and rich salted caramel mud cake topped with Kit Kat® Chunky Caramel, jersey caramels and salted caramel sauce... so much caramel goodness! Are you drooling through the screen yet? The salted caramel sauce is made with unsalted butter so that you can control the amount of salt you wish to include.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Caramel, Kit Kat, Maltesers® and cake - what more do you need in life? This would make a great birthday cake!!" - Sandra
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Total Preparation Time 2.5-3 hours
Serves 20, depending on slices
Can be frozen
- butter - 250g, salted, chopped
- chocolate - 200g, white, chopped
- brown sugar - 450g
- water - 375g
- eggs - 3, beaten lightly
- vanilla - 1 tsp, extract
- plain flour - 300g, sifted
- self raising flour - 100g, sifted
- Salted caramel frosting:
- icing sugar - 250g
- Salted caramel sauce:
- butter - 120g, unsalted
- brown sugar - 180g, firmly packed, dark or normal is fine
- cream - 65g cup, thickened full fat
- salt - 1/4-1/2 tsp, to taste
- chocolate - Maltesers
- chocolate - Kit Kat Chunky Caramel
- jersey caramels
- Preheat oven to 150C. Line and grease cake tins.
- Place butter (250g), chocolate (200g), sugar (450g) and water (375g) into bowl.
- Melt for 8-10 minutes / 80C / Speed 1.5 or until the sugar has completely dissolved and the butter and chocolate have melted.
- Remove lid and leave to cool completely (if you want to hurry this up, pour the liquid into a separate bowl as it will cool much quicker).
- Once the mixture has cooled, add the eggs (3) one at a time while mixing on Speed 4.
- Add vanilla (1 tsp) and mix on Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Add plain flour (300g) and self-raising flour (100g) and mix on Speed 3 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Mix again Speed 3 / 10 seconds.
- Divide the mixture equally between the two prepared cake tins.
- Bake in the oven for roughly 60-75 minutes. The cake is ready when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Because of the long cooking time, the tops of your cakes may begin to over-brown. If this starts to happen, simply cover them with foil.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and set aside to cool.
Salted caramel frosting:
- Add the icing sugar (250g) to a clean dry bowl and sift Speed 9 / 10 seconds. Set aside in a separate bowl.
Salted caramel sauce:
- Prepare the salted caramel sauce by adding butter (120g), brown sugar (180g), thickened cream (65g) and salt (1/4-1/2 tsp) to the bowl.
- Program 10 minutes / 110C* / Speed 3, measuring cap off.
- Set aside 4 Tbsp of the salted caramel sauce for drizzling over the top.
- Add the icing sugar (2 cups) to the remaining salted caramel sauce. Combine Speed 5 / 15 seconds.
Toppings and assembly:
- Place one of the cakes onto a serving plate. Spread half of the frosting on top of the cake and add the second cake layer on top.
- Spread the remaining frosting over the top (reserve 1/4 cup if using Malteasers around the base).
- Pipe the reserved frosting around the very base of the cake and pop the Malteasers in place.
- Add chopped caramel Kit Kat® and jersey caramels to the top (alternatively you could leave the cake plain or add chocolate curls).
- Drizzle with the reserved salted caramel sauce.
* If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.