Salt and Pepper Calamari
Make your own yummy salt and pepper calamari without all the batter! This seasoning mix is really delicious, and it allows you to create a quick summery meal. Serve with one of our Satisfying Salads from this issue for a light but nutritious meal. To make this meal even easier, ask your fishmonger to clean and slice the calamari for you. If you are doing it yourself, please be aware that there can be a thin film on the calamari that you will want to remove before eating.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Healthy and economical. When we went to the fish market to buy the calamari, we saw that they had a special of the day on just this dish; although battered. We definitely paid less than they were charging." -Sue
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 15 minutes
Can be frozen
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp
- garlic powder - 1 tsp
- chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- calamari - 600g, tubes, cleaned and sliced into 1cm thick rings
- olive oil - for cooking
- salad of choice - to serve
- Place salt (1 tsp), pepper (1 tsp), garlic powder (1 tsp) and chilli powder (1/2 tsp) into the bowl. Mix Speed 8 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add calamari rings (600g) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 3 / 5 seconds, or until calamari is well coated in marinade.
- Place oil into a large frying pan over high heat.
- Place a single layer of calamari in the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on one side, then flip and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes, or until tender. Do not overcook or the calamari will become rubbery.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Cook remaining calamari. You may need to add some more oil to the pan and allow it to heat up prior to adding more calamari.
- Serve with a side salad.