These rum balls are the real deal. The traditional rum balls, like Grandma used to make. Literally. This recipe comes from my beautiful friend Sarah, and it came from her Grandma. Sarah has been making these rum balls for years – but only since last year has she implemented the use of her thermo mixer! Before that she was cutting all the sultanas up with scissors so they were the perfect size! Needless to say, this is a much easier method, but still with a delicious result. Enjoy! - Bec
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This rum ball recipe is so easy! I'll be using this one from now on instead of my old recipe I've used for the past 25+ years." - Anita
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Egg
Total Preparation Time 20 minutes + setting time
Makes Approx. 40 balls
Can be frozen
- biscuits of choice - 250g packet, plain, sweet (*can use EF or GF plain sweet biscuits)
- sultanas - 170g
- desiccated coconut - 50g, plus extra to roll balls in
- cacao powder - 10g
- condensed milk - 395g, tin, sweetened
- rum - 25g (we chose Captain Morgan® Spiced Gold), or to taste
- Add half of the biscuits (125g only) to the bowl. Mix Closed Lid / Turbo / 5x 0.5 second blasts. Set aside in separate bowl.
- Add other half of the biscuits (125g) to the bowl. Mix Closed Lid / Turbo / 5 x 0.5 second blasts. Set aside with other biscuit crumbs.
- No need to wash out bowl. Add sultanas (170g) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 9 /2 seconds.
- Add coconut (50g), cacao (10g) and biscuit crumbs to the bowl. Mix Closed Lid / Turbo / 3 x 0.5 second blasts.
- Add condensed milk (395g tin) and rum (25g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 5seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Transfer mixture into a separate bowl with your spatula and refrigerate until hard.
- Scoop up small portions of the mixture with a melon baller or teaspoon and roll into balls before covering in coconut. Keep in the refrigerator until serving.