Rosemary and Swiss Cheese Gougères
These sensational Swiss cheese puffs have been shared with us by Tenina Holder from Cooking with Tenina. They are hot little savoury bites that go perfectly with drinkies. You can choose to fill them or not – either way, they are perfectly flavoured and delicious!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "'Choux buns' usually means sweet, but these are a really good savoury alternative that you can easily snack on – try stopping at one!" - Gail
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time 15-20 minutes
Makes 24-30 puffs
Cannot be frozen
You will need:
2 baking trays
- Swiss cheese - 100g, cubed
- fresh rosemary - 3 sprigs, leaves only
- soda water - 160g
- milk - 80g
- butter - 80g
- salt flakes - pinch, pink
- plain flour - 65g
- rye flour - 65g, can replace with more plain flour, or wholemeal
- eggs - 4
- fillings - of choice, optional
- Preheat the oven to as hot as it will go, or to 220C. This may take up to 2 hours. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Add the cubed Swiss cheese (100g) and fresh rosemary leaves (from 3 sprigs) to the bowl. Mill Speed 8 / 5 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the sparkling water (160g), milk (80g), butter (80g) and pink salt flakes (pinch) to the bowl. Program 8 minutes / 100C / Speed 3.
- Add the plain flour (65g), rye flour (65g) and the cheese and rosemary mix to the bowl. Program 2 minutes / 100C / Speed 5.
- Allow the mixture to cool in the bowl for at least 5-10 minutes.
- Add the eggs (4) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 5.
- Optional: At this point, the batter can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge until ready for baking. You may need to add a few minutes to the cooking time if you do this.
- Pipe small amounts of the mixture (approx. 3cm rounds) onto the prepared trays.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180C and bake for a further 7-10 minutes or until puffed and golden. Refrain from opening the oven door during this time.
- Serve hot. Fill the puffs with your filling of choice before serving if desired.