Roasted Pumpkin, Pine Nut and Spinach Saffron Risotto
Risotto is always a winner, and we think you will really love the flavour combinations in this one! The roast pumpkin really gives this dish a delicate sweetness and the subtle hints of floral flavours from the saffron.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Quick and easy risotto with lovely pumpkin flavours. I used the leftovers and turned them into arancini, which were very tasty." - Kristen
No: Gluten / Egg
Contains: Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
- Roasted pumpkin:
- pumpkin - 300g, peeled and cubed (unprepared weight)
- olive oil
- Parmesan cheese - 70g, cubed
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- olive oil - 20g
- arborio rice - 350g
- vegetable stock - 70g, paste or chicken stock paste* (we use homemade stock paste with half the salt)
- water - 930g
- saffron - 1 tsp, threads
- pine nuts - 50g, toasted
- baby spinach - handful, leaves
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Peel and dice the pumpkin (300g) into bite-size pieces.
- Lay pumpkin out on the prepared tray, then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until browned. You can continue with the following steps while the pumpkin is roasting.
- Add the cubed Parmesan cheese (70g) to the bowl. Grate Speed 7 / 5-10 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the peeled and quartered onion (1) and peeled garlic cloves (2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the olive oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Speed 2.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Add the rice (350g) to the bowl. Program 2 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Add the stock paste (70g), water (930g) and saffron threads (1 tsp) to the bowl. Program 17 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap on. You can continue on with the next step while you wait.
- If you need to toast your pine nuts (50g), you can do it on a dry frying pan while you wait for the rice to cook.
- Pour the risotto into an insulated server and stir through the roasted pumpkin, toasted pine nuts (50g), baby spinach leaves (handful) and reserved grated Parmesan cheese (70g). Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes to thicken.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper if required.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
Make your own!
*Make your own stock paste with the Odds and Ends Stock Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.