Roasted Capsicum & Basil Dip
A friend and I were desperately trying to create some dips for my son's second birthday when we completely made this one up on the spot with a handful of ingredients. It is now a favourite and has featured at almost every party since! – Peta
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Total Cooking Time 10 minutes
Makes 1 cup of dip
Cannot be frozen
- cream cheese - 250g, full fat, cubed
- capsicum - 200g, strips, roasted, or roast your own in Step 1
- fresh basil - 10, leaves, plus a few extra to garnish
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- To chargrill red capsicum: Hold the capsicum with the stem upright and remove the core as you slice downwards to create 4 large pieces (or cheeks). Remove any membranes or seeds. Place each of the capsicum pieces on a sheet of foil on an oven tray under a hot grill for about 10 minutes or until blackened and blistered. Remove from grill, fold up the sides of the foil and wrap ensuring that the steam cannot escape. Allow to cool, over which time the steam will condense and allow for the skin to be easily removed. Peel off the skin and cut into chunks.
- Add cream cheese (250g), capsicum (200g) and basil leaves (10) to bowl. Speed 8 / 10 seconds.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Pour into a serving bowl and top with extra basil leaves. For best results allow to sit in the fridge to firm up for a few hours. This can be served immediately however if desired.
Note: If you use a reduced fat or spreadable cream cheese it will result in a thinner dip.
Transport in a sealed airtight container with an icepack to keep it cool. Keep refrigerated as long as possible.