Roast Pork Shoulder with Red Cabbage and Dumplings
Have you ever thought about steaming meat? This roast pork shoulder is succulent, tender and super juicy. It forms part of a traditional German roast dinner. The red cabbage is a classic side dish in German cuisine and produces a wonderfully aromatic and sweet counterpart to the heavy dark brown gravy and dumplings. It is a true classic that you can enjoy with your loved ones for dinner time and time again. The steamed dumplings taste great when chopped into small slices the next day and roasted in the pan.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "If you get this recipe right your kitchen will be called a 5 star restaurant! Great flavours and pork that melts in your mouth." - Megs
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 3 hours
Cannot be frozen
- Red cabbage:
- apples - 2, quartered and cored
- cabbage - 500g, red
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- goose fat - 40g (or butter)
- star anise - 1
- bay leaves - 2
- red wine vinegar - 50g
- sugar - 30g
- salt - pinch
- allspice - 5 berries
- water - 150g
- vegetable stock - 1 cube
- red wine - 100g
- juniper berries - 6
- cloves - 2
- cinnamon - 1, stick
- Pork shoulder:
- onions - 2, peeled and quartered
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- celery - 2, in sticks, chopped into large chunks
- butter - 40g
- water - 500g
- root beer - 250g, or sarsparilla
- beef stock - 2 cubes
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - pinch
- paprika - 1/2 tsp
- pork shoulder - 1.5kg, boneless, with skin on
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp
- water - 600g
- bread - 300g, day old, chopped into large chunks
- onion - 1, red, peeled and quartered
- fresh parsley - 5g
- butter - 20g
- milk - 220g
- eggs - 3
- pepper - pinch
- salt - 1 tsp
- nutmeg - pinch
- butter - 10g
- water - 100g
- cranberry jelly - 30g
- For the red cabbage, place the apples (2) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 4 / 5 seconds. Transfer into a small bowl.
- Chop the red cabbage (500g) into large chunks and place in the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Transfer into a large bowl.
- Place the onion (1) in the bowl and chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the goose fat (40g) and star anise (1). Cook 5 minutes / 120C* / Speed 2.
- Add the chopped red cabbage, chopped apples, bay leaves (2), red wine vinegar (50g), sugar (30g), salt (pinch), allspice berries (5), water (150g), vegetable stock cube (1), red wine (100g), juniper berries (6), cloves (2) and cinnamon stick (1) to the mixing bowl. Cook 40 minutes / 100C / Speed 1. Pour into a large bowl and set aside.
- Place the onions (2), garlic cloves (1) and celery sticks (2) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 3 seconds. Scrape down.
- Add the butter (40g) and cook 4 minutes / 120C* / Speed 1.
- Add the water (500g), root beer (250g), beef stock cubes (2), salt (1 tsp), pepper (pinch) and paprika (1/2 tsp) to the bowl.
- Take the boneless pork shoulder (1.5kg) and rub well with pepper (1 tsp) and salt (1 tsp). Place it skin side up in the steaming attachment lower dish.
- Steam 60 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1.
- Remove the pork from the steaming attachment and score the skin criss cross with a knife. Add water to the bowl (600g) and place pork back in the steaming attachment. Steam again 60 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1.
- After 30 minutes into the cooking time preheat the oven to 250C.
- Remove the pork and place in a ovenproof dish skin side up.
- Pour over the cooking liquid in the bowl and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the skin is crispy golden brown.
- Meanwhile, clean and dry the bowl and put the bread (300g) in the bowl. Crush Speed 6 / 10 seconds. Transfer into a small bowl.
- Place the red onion (1) and fresh parsley (5g) in the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the butter (20g) and milk (220g) to the bowl. Cook 3 minutes / 60C / Speed 1.
- Add the breadcrumbs, eggs (3), pepper (pinch), salt (1 tsp) and nutmeg (pinch) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 3 / 20 seconds.
- Transfer to a large bowl and, using wet hands, form 12 balls.
- Grease the steaming attachment with butter (10g) and place the dumplings inside.
- Pour in the cabbage, water (100g) and cranberry jelly (30g) in the bowl. Put the steaming attachment on top. Cook 20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Serve with the pork and gravy immediately.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.