Roast Chicken Stew
There is nothing better than a heartwarming stew. The flavours of the roast chicken go so well with all the fresh veggies in this absolutely delicious meal.It is great for the whole family and can be frozen in portions.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "With the nights getting colder this is the perfect dish. It is warm, nutritious and flavoursome. My stew didn't look as good as the picture, but what it lacked in looks it made up in deliciousness! I've frozen the leftovers in portions for hubby and me to take to work for lunch." -Sharree
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Can be frozen
- whole chicken - 1.2kg
- olive oil - 40g
- paprika - 1 tsp, smoked
- paprika - 1 Tbsp
- pepper - pinch, black, ground
- salt - pinch
- honey - 20g
- bacon - 100g, pieces
- chicken stock - 1 cube (*or 1 tsp chicken stock paste)
- water - 500g
- shallots - 4 mini, peeled and halved
- fresh thyme - 1 tsp, leaves
- potatoes - 100g, baby, halved
- turnips - 3, baby, quartered
- carrots - 100g, baby, sliced
- green beans - 50g
- corn - 4 ears, baby sweet, halved
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Chop the chicken (1.2kg) into 4 pieces on a chopping board and place it on a baking tray lined with baking paper. You can also get your butcher to do that for you. Just ask them to take the back bone out.
- Rub the chicken with the olive oil (20g only) and season with smoked paprika (1 tsp), paprika (1 Tbsp), pepper (pinch), salt (pinch) and honey (20g). Bake for 45 minute in the oven until deep golden brown and the skin has become very crispy.
- Meanwhile, to make the stew, place the bacon (100g) and remaining oil (20g) in the bowl. Program 8 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1. Scrape down sides.
- Add the stock cube (1), water (500g), shallots (4) and thyme (1 tsp) to the bowl. Place the potatoes (100g), turnips (3) and carrots (100g) in the internal steaming basket and insert into the bowl. Program 15 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and take the meat off the bones. Chop into large chunks.
- Transfer the contents of the internal steaming basket to the bowl and set the basket aside.
- Add the chicken, green beans (50g) and corn (4 ears) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Serve hot.