Roast Capsicum and Mozzarella Strudel
A delicious savoury strudel that makes for a great lunch or dinner. We really love the combination of roasted capsicum and mozzarella!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Something a little bit different as a vegetarian option. Could be served as a snack or a meal – you make the decision. It's a really versatile recipe and terrific for No Meat Monday." - Gail
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Can be frozen
- puff pastry - 2 sheets
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- fresh basil - 1/2 bunch, leaves only
- capsicum - 100g, roasted strips (can use jarred)
- mozzarella cheese - 200g, cubed
- baby spinach - 60g, leaves
- egg - 1, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the puff pastry sheets (2) onto the tray. Place one sheet slightly over the end of the first sheet and press down to secure. This will give you one large sheet of pastry on the tray.
- Place the peeled garlic cloves (2), basil leaves (from 1/2 bunch), roasted capsicum strips (100g), cubed mozzarella cheese (200g), salt and pepper in the bowl. Blitz Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Spread the cheese mixture in the middle of the large puff pastry sheet lengthways, leaving a 2cm border at each end.
- Spread the baby spinach leaves (60g) over the cheese mix.
- Fold both sides in to meet in the middle to form a large log. Fold each end in to ensure everything is tucked in nicely.
- Flip the strudel over and place seam side down onto the tray.
- Brush with the beaten egg (1).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Remove and slice up to serve.
Make your own!
*Make your own puff pastry with the Homemade Puff Pastry recipe from this issue, the Rough Puff Pastry recipe from The Freezer Issue or the Iced Puff Pastry recipe from The Easter Bonus Issue.