Rice Pudding Cake with Apples
If you are craving a comforting dessert but want to try something a bit different, give this rice pudding cake with fresh apples a try. It is wholesome and tastes delicious, especially when served with fresh vanilla ice cream. You can store it in the fridge for up to three days.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Delicious dessert or snack, and yummy with vanilla ice cream." - Sherrie
No: Gluten / Nuts
Contains: Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- milk - 500g
- caster sugar - 60g
- arborio rice - 150g
- butter - 20g
- eggs - 3, separated
- cream of tartar - pinch
- yoghurt - 200g, Greek
- apple - 4, pink lady, peeled, cored and chopped into small cubes
- lemon - 1, zest only
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, ground
- If you need to make your own caster sugar, add sugar (60g) and grind Speed 9 / 3 seconds. Set aside.
- If you want to use your mixer to zest your lemon, peel the zest (from 1 lemon) and add to the bowl. Blitz Speed 10 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides. Repeat if necessary. Set aside.
- Place the milk (500g), caster sugar (30g only) and rice (150g) in the bowl. Program 25 minutes / 90C / Reverse+Speed 2. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a small rectangular lasagne dish with the butter (20g). Insert the whisk attachment.
- To the clean dry bowl, pour the egg whites (3) and cream of tartar (pinch) into the bowl. Program 3 minutes / 37C / Speed 3.5
- Transfer the beaten egg whites into a separate bowl and remove the whisk attachment.
- Without cleaning the bowl, place the egg yolks (3), yoghurt (200g) and remaining caster sugar (30g) in the bowl. Combine Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Add the peeled apple pieces (from 4 apples) and lemon zest (from 1 lemon) to the bowl. Combine Speed 4 / 5 seconds.
- Add the reserved rice pudding to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 2 / 15 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Continue Reverse+Speed 2 / 10 seconds. Combine with the help of your spatula if necessary.
- Add the reserved egg whites and, with the help of your spatula, carefully fold under until just incorporated.
- Pour into the prepared lasagne dish, sprinkle with cinnamon (1 tsp) and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or cold the next day.