Red Wine Lamb Shanks Meal Base
This rich and chunky red sauce is very tasty and versatile, and it's easily prepared from staples you would normally have in your pantry. It's a great way to make your lamb shanks extra delicious with low effort, and you can easily make it ahead of time and have it frozen and ready to add to your shanks! We love the combination of red wine and fresh herbs in this one.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “That sauce is the nicest I have made in my mixer! It's a real winner for me." - Jan
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 33 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
internal steaming basket
- fresh rosemary - 2 Tbsp, leaves
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- onion - 1, large, peeled and quartered
- carrot - 4, medium, roughly chopped, approx. 250g
- celery - 3 stalks, roughly chopped
- oil - 20g
- tomato paste - 50g
- vegetable stock - 30g, paste
- tinned tomatoes - 800g, diced
- red wine - 200g
- fresh thyme - 2 Tbsp, roughly chopped
- bay leaves - 3
- Serving suggestions:
- lamb shanks - 4-6, to cook the meal
- vegetable stock - 1 tsp, paste, optional, to cook the meal
- cornflour - 1 tsp, optional, to cook the meal, *ensure GF if required
- water - 30g, optional, to cook the meal
- potato - mashed, to serve
- Add the fresh rosemary leaves (2 Tbsp) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the peeled garlic cloves (4), peeled and quartered onion (1), chopped carrots (4) and chopped celery stalks (3) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 8 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 2, measuring cap off.
- Add the tomato paste (50g), vegetable stock paste (30g), diced tomatoes (800g tin), red wine (200g), chopped fresh thyme (2 Tbsp) and bay leaves (3) to the bowl. Program 25 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap on.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer until needed.
- In a large frying pan, brown off seasoned lamb shanks (4-6) over high heat until sealed on all sides.
- Place the lamb shanks into a large slow cooker and cover in the meal base sauce. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- You may wish to serve the sauce as is, or alternatively you can return the sauce to the mixer bowl, add vegetable stock paste (1 tsp) and a slurry of cornflour (1 tsp) and water (30g), and blend Speed 6 / 5-10 seconds, measuring cap on.
- Serve over mashed potato.
Make your own!
* Make your own tomato paste with the Pizza Sauce / Tomato Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.
* Make your own stock paste with the Odds and Ends Stock Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.