Red Pesto Chicken Salad
This hearty salad has been shared with us by Nikalene Riddle from Skinnymixers. Even the manliest salad hater will love it! It’s perfect to feed a crowd and you can make it go even further by adding extra salad ingredients and dressing. The beauty of this recipe is you can either prepare it ahead of time and enjoy it cold, or cook it and eat it warm.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This quick and tasty salad is a fave in our house!" - Diana
No: Gluten / Egg
Contains: Dairy / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- Red pesto:
- semi dried tomatoes - 170g
- macadamia nuts - 50g, cashews or pinenuts (*omit for NF), raw
- olive oil - 40g, increase to 100g for an oilier / runnier pesto
- Parmesan cheese - 30g, cubed (*omit for DF)
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- capsicum - 30g, roasted, from a jar or roast your own
- tomato paste - 10g
- fresh basil - 10g leaves (large bunch)
- olives - 20g, kalamata flesh, optional
- salt - pinch
- pesto - 100g, red
- yoghurt - 30g, Greek (*use homemade mayonnaise for DF)
- balsamic vinegar - 10g
- mustard - 1 tsp, Dijon
- salt - 1 tsp
- potato - 500g, baby red, sliced into thick round coins
- chicken breast - 500-700g, cubed
- pesto - 50g, red
- water - 500g
- To serve:
- baby spinach
- macadamia nuts - chopped (*omit for NF)
- Add tomatoes (170g), macadamias (50g), oil (40g), Parmesan cheese (30g), garlic cloves (2), capsicum (30g), tomato paste (10g), basil (10g), olives (20g) and salt (pinch) to the bowl. Blend Speed 5 / 20 seconds. Transfer pesto to a small bowl.
- Add red pesto (100g), yoghurt (30g), vinegar (10g), Dijon mustard (1 tsp) and salt (1 tsp) to mixer bowl. Combine for Speed 2 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Put your prepared potatoes (500g) into the internal steaming basket and coat the chicken (500-700g) in the red pesto (50g) and put into the steaming attachment lower dish.
- Without washing the bowl, add water (500g) to mixer bowl, insert internal steaming basket, put the steaming attachment lower dish in place. Program 17-20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2 or until cooked, stirring chicken part way through to ensure even cooking.
- Set potatoes aside to cool and tip out steaming water. Put chicken into the mixer bowl and roughly chop for Speed 5 / 1-2 seconds.
- At this point you can either allow your potato and chicken to cool completely before combining with dressing and salad items, or combine it warm for a warm salad.