Red Lentil Kofta
Red lentil kofta are the perfect snack if you are feeling a little peckish and you are craving something healthy but delicious. The lentils and lemons create a perfect flavour that is fresh and wholesome. You can fry them up the next day for little veggie burgers.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Very simple but tasty recipe....lettuce cups give a light fresh taste and the fried version is delicious and crunchy." - Penny
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- fresh parsley - 20g
- fresh mint - 10g
- onion - 1, red, halved
- spring onions - 30g, roughly chopped
- water - 460g
- lentils - 200g, dried red
- tomato paste - 30g
- salt flakes - 1 tsp
- quinoa - 90g, or fine bulgar (*use quinoa for GF)
- olive oil - 30g
- cumin - 1 tsp
- chilli flakes - 1 tsp
- lemon - 1, juice only
- lettuce - 2, cos, hearts
- pomegranate - 2 Tbsp, seeds
- Place the parsley (20g), mint (10g), red onion (1) and spring onions (30g) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 8 / 4 seconds. Transfer into a separate mixing bowl using the spatula.
- Add the water (460g), red lentils (200g), tomato paste (30g) and salt flakes (1 tsp) to the bowl. Program 16 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 2.
- Add the bulgur or quinoa (90g) to the bowl and cook again 2 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 2.
- Remove the measuring cap and leave to sit for 15 minutes.
- Add the herb mixture, olive oil (30g), cumin (1 tsp), chilli flakes (1 tsp) and lemon juice (from 1 lemon) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 4 / 40 seconds. If it is too dry, add some water through the lid until it resembles very thick potato mash. If it is too wet, allow to sit for longer. If you have used quinoa rather than bulgur you will likely need to let it sit for another 15-20 minutes.
- Tear off individual leaves of the cos lettuce hearts (2) and arrange on a large serving platter. Take a spoonful of the mixture and place on the lettuce leaf. Make a small dent in the middle and drizzle with pomegranate seeds. Alternatively, cool the mixture completely (can refrigerate) and fry balls of the mixture in a pan before serving.