Raw Fruit and Nut Bars
This simple snack has been shared with us by Lesley Collins from Me and My Thermie. She adds them to her children's lunchboxes. If your school has a nut exclusion policy you can substitute cashew nuts for sunflower kernels and / or pumpkin seeds.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "It tastes just like a jaffa chocolate – only you know it's much better for you. Nice texture and a great recipe that has the ability for substitutions based on what is in your pantry." - Lauren
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Nut
Total Preparation Time 5 minutes
Makes 16 bars
Can be frozen
- orange - 1/2, zest only
- cornflour - 1 tsp (*can omit for grain free)
- cashew nuts - 140g (*use pumpkin seeds or sunflower kernels for NF)
- dates - 140g, pitted
- raisins - 50g
- cacao powder - 20g
- Add orange zest (from 1/2 orange) and cornflour (1 tsp) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 9 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Add cashews (140g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 9 / 20 seconds. The mix should almost be at the cashew butter stage.
- Add dates (140g) and raisins (50g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 9 / 30 seconds.
- Add orange zest mix and cacao (20g) to the bowl. Speed 9 / 10 seconds.
- If you pick up a blob of the mix (carefully, avoiding the blades) and squeeze in the palm of your hand, it should form together well. Tip the mixture into a small tin, lined with baking paper if you wish, and press down with your hands.
- Take a small jam jar and roll to make a smooth dough. Then score "bars" measuring about 1.5cm x 10-12cm. Make them larger or smaller, as you wish.
- Pop into the fridge to harden, then cut up.
- Ready to eat or to pop into a lunchbox!